key features 


  • Find a competitive premium for your desired coverage.
  • Always ask if your insurer can give you a discount for good driving history or car model.

Quality of the Insurer. Check consumer reports - for example JD Power ratings -

  • Do they have a good platform / sales team?
  • Are premiums easy to pay?
  • Is it easy to file claims / receive compensation?
  • Do they have a good reputation and financial standing  - your insurer won't be able to pay claims if they are bankrupt.

Make sure you're comparing plans with similar coverage.  Each province imposes mandatory coverage requirements (which can differ slightly). Purchasing more comprehensive insurance is your choice.


Driving is risky and accidents happen. Drivers are responsible for their vehicle, passengers, other drivers, pedestrians/cyclists, and own lives.

If you drive, by law, you need auto-insurance - whether it's your own car or a rental.  Mandatory coverage and coverage limits vary by province.  It’s important to confirm your province's details.

Coverage consists of liability, collision, and accident benefits.

  • Liability insurance pays for damage and injury / death you cause to others and their property during an accident (including their medical expenses / loss of income). 'Liability' refers to legal responsibility.
  • Collision insurance covers damage to your car.
  • ​Accident benefits cover your own medical expenses. If you're unable to work after an accident, insurance may reimburse you for lost income.


​There is also comprehensive insurance that covers non-accident related damage to your car, like vandalism / theft. 

Auto insurance does not cover any personal items you have in the car - your home insurance might.

car (auto) ​Insurance


If you were involved in a major accident, you need to call 911.

If it's a minor bump, stop your car once you're safely out of traffic.

  • The other driver is expected to do the same.  If they don't, try to take a photo of their license plate, or memorize it (dash-cams are useful) - but only if it's safe to do so.
  • Ask the other driver if they're okay.  Make sure you're okay too.  
  • Check both cars for any damage.  Take pictures of the cars and any visible injuries. 
  • Don't engage in conversation about the accident (how it happened).
  • Even if you both agree there's no visible damage and nothing further needs to be done, exchange names, license plates, car makers / models, contact information, and insurance policy details with the other driver.  ​You should always know where the insurance policy is kept in whatever car you're driving.  And, if it's not your policy, that you're named in it as one of the drivers.

What should you do after the accident?

Report the accident to the police.

  • In some provinces, if large enough damage occurs, an accident must, by law, be reported within 24 hours to the Collision Reporting Center (they're police but have their own offices and buildings - find your closest reporting center).
  • The amount of damage that needs to occur varies by province. In Ontario and Alberta, it's $2,000 total, for both cars combined. In Nova Scotia, it's $2,000 per car. Look it up for your province of residence.
  • An accident must also be reported if injury occurs, pedestrians are involved, the accident was a hit and run, or the other driver was unlicensed / uninsured.
  • ​Experts say it's a good idea to always report your accident just to be safe. Damages or injury may come up weeks or months after the accident occurred.  Not following reporting laws can have serious consequences.

Report it to your insurance company.

  • Insurance companies have different rules regarding accident reports - they're usually stated in the policy terms.  Many expect drivers to report an accident within 7 days.  If you don't - and the insurer finds out - your coverage may be suspended or your premium may go up.
  • Your insurance broker can help you decide whether you should report the accident. An insurance broker is the person you / your family / spouse bought the insurance policy from. Brokers do not work for any insurance company - they are only paid commission by insurers when they sell policies.
  • Reporting the accident is different from filing a claim. You can report an incident without having any damage (this should not affect your premium).  If there is damage, you have a choice of reporting and not filing a claim (you'll cover repairs from your own pocket - this should not affect  your premium). If you report, file a claim, and get compensation, your premium will likely rise when you renew your insurance policy.

Be aware that some people stage accidents, then file claims for fake injuries / damage to their cars. You may become an unsuspecting target when driving a car and getting into a seemingly minor accident.