To set up your CRA account you need your last year's tax return.
If using certified tax software, complete your full registration.
Sign up for 2 useful features:
Your CRA account allows you to securely access your key income tax information:
There are two ways to create an account:
1. Login with the same information you use for your online banking (select 'Sign-in Partner').
2. Create a unique user ID and password for your CRA account.
It's your choice which method you use. When you decide, keep in mind that:
Before you start, make sure you have:
1. Your SIN (social insurance number) - what if you don't have it?
2. Last tax return.
You'll be asked to provideyour SIN, date of birth, postal code, and your total income from the previous year's tax return. Items on your tax return are often referred to by line number – you'll be prompted by the application with the line number to cite.
Get your security code. After you complete the application, you’ll have to wait a few days to receive your CRA security code by mail (or you can call them to get it sooner).
Here's a 3-minute video from the CRA about how to create your CRA account.
Skip this step, unless you want to review the basics below, in the yellow box.
1. You submitted a tax return last year
Set up your CRA account right now.
2. This is your first tax return
If this is your first tax return, submit it first and then set up your CRA account.
Set up your CRA account after you submit your this year's tax return.
How is income tax calculated?
1. Determine your income from all sources.
2. Subtract tax deductions for which you’re eligible.
3. Multiply the difference by the applicable tax rates (federal and provincial).
4. Subtract tax credits for which you're eligible. Now you have your tax bill for the year.
5. Subtract any tax you've already paid. For example, your employer may have deducted tax directly from your paycheque.
6. Collect a refund or pay any additional tax you owe.
Have a conversation with your parents or guardian / primary caregiver about income tax.
At the latest, file your first tax return the next tax season after you turn 18.
Login to check the status of your tax slips.
All tax slips uploaded to the CRA system will automatically populate your tax return.
Gather all relevant tax slips, certificates, and receipts.
Tax slips are used to verify your income - from employment and investments.
Certificates and receipts are used to claim tax deductions and credits.Deductions and credits reduce the amount of tax you owe.
How do you get these tax documents?
Missing a slip? Found a mistake? It's on you to follow up. You need to know which of your activities have tax implications (which means they need to be reported in your tax return).
What is it? Your CRA account is your income tax portal. Use it when you prepare your yearly tax return, monitor tax updates from the CRA, and register to receive certain government benefits (if you're eligible).